Frequently Asked Questions

When is the next General Election?

The next general Election will be Monday, October 16, 2017.   It is held on the third Monday of October every four years.


Who can vote?

Any citizen is considered to be an elector and is eligible to vote, if they meet the following:

  • at least 18 years old
  • a Canadian Citizen
  • has resided in Alberta for the six (6) consecutive months immediately preceding Election Day
  • a resident of the City on Election Day
  • provide authorized identification

All voters must sign the voting register stating that they meet these qualifications before they will be given a ballot.

Note:  Landed immigrants and British subjects are not eligible to vote

Will I require identification?

In order to vote, an elector must produce one piece of authorized identification that establishes both the elector’s name and current address.   A Driver’s License or an Alberta Identification Card are acceptable.  Photo identification is not required.

Does the Village of Stirling Vote for a Mayor?

No.  Stirling elects five Village Councillors at large.  The five Councillors then hold an annual organizational meeting where they choose the Mayor and Deputy Mayor.

Do we have a voter’s list?

There is no voter’s list.  A citizen goes to their voting station, and signs a document certifying that they meet the qualifications.   An elector must vote in the voting subdivision in which they live on the day of the Election.

How do you become a candidate?

The candidate picks up the nomination form from the Village Office, fills out the form and has five (5) or more electors sign the nomination form.  On the form, each candidate prints their name as they wish it to appear on the ballot.  Any person who signs a nomination paper must be eligible to vote.

When are nomination papers filed?

Nomination papers can only be filed with the Returning Officer between 10:00 am and Noon on Monday, September 18, 2017 (Nomination Day), which is held four (4) weeks prior to the election. A person has twenty-four (24) hours after that to change their mind.

They cannot be filed in advance nor be filed after that date and time.  A facsimile of nominations papers is not considered to be legal.

If you are unable to turn in your nomination papers, you may ask someone else to do it, providing that the form has been appropriately signed and commissioned.

When may signs be posted on public property? 

Signs are permitted on public property starting Monday, August 28, 2017.

When may signs be posted on private property? 

Signs are permitted on private property anytime provided permission is obtained from the property owner.


Contact Information:

Mike Selk
Returning Officer

Village Office

Mon. - Thu., 8 am - 4 pm